The process of applying for financial aid at UMBC is simple. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to apply for financial aid using our school code of 002105.
2017-2018 Academic Year
- NEW! All students are encouraged to apply beginning October 1, 2016
- Our priority deadline is February 14, 2017
- Additional information may be found on our Early FAFSA FAQ page
2016-2017 Academic Year
- All students are encouraged to apply beginning January 1, 2016
- Our priority application deadline is February 14, 2016
- Applicants for spring admission should have a FAFSA on file with UMBC by December 14, 2016
Enrollment in Summer/Winter Sessions are considered Special Programs for financial aid purposes. Please be sure to review the eligibility requirements.
Student Aid Report (SAR)
After the FAFSA has been processed, the federal processor will send a Student Aid Report (SAR) to you. The SAR indicates whether you have been selected for a process called verification and whether you are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant. However, eligibility for all other financial aid awards is determined by UMBC. If you do not have a copy of your SAR, you can request a duplicate copy from the Federal Student Aid Information Center by calling 1-800-433-3243.
Review your SAR carefully for accuracy and make sure that UMBC is listed. If it is not, we will not receive your application data until you add UMBC to your FAFSA. Confirm our receipt of your SAR information from the federal processor by checking your myUMBC account for awards. If awards are posted, then your SAR has been received. If you have not received your electronic SAR from the federal processor, neither has the university. We cannot send you an award letter until your FAFSA information has been received and processed.
If you have questions about your SAR, please call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.