The entrance counseling session is intended to help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower and to review strategies for effectively managing student loan debt. Entrance Counseling is a requirement for all first-time loan borrowers of federal loans (Stafford, Grad PLUS).
Please note that you must complete the entire session once you begin. If you exit the counseling before completing the session and return later, you will need to start over from the beginning.
Follow these instructions to complete the Entrance Counseling requirement:
- Visit studentloans.gov.
- Sign in using your FSA ID.
- Click on Complete Counseling.
- Click on Entrance Counseling.
- Work through the modules to complete the Entrance Counseling.
- At the end of the counseling, select UMBC (code: 002105) as the school you wish to notify.
Perkins Loan Repayment
If you have received a Federal Perkins Loan, contact Student Business Services to review information regarding entrance counseling requirements. Recipients of the Perkins Loan must complete separate requirements as a first time Perkins Loan borrower.