What is the role of a Scholarship Assistant?
Scholarship Assistants work in the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to assist students and parents with questions about financial aid and UMBC merit scholarships. Some of the duties include:
- Providing customer service
- Answering phone calls
- Responding to emails sent by students and parents
- Accepting documents and logging them to the student’s account
- Scanning and filing documents
- Processing, logging, and delivering office mail
- Instructing students and parents on how to navigate myUMBC and the Financial Aid website
- Connecting students with appropriate campus resources
- Representing the office at campus-wide events
- Other duties as assigned
Is financial aid experience required?
No, you do not need to have any previous experience in financial aid or scholarships to apply. However, Scholarship Assistants go through a rigorous training process and are required to learn a great deal of information about financial and merit scholarships at UMBC.
*Scholarship assistants should be recipients of a UMBC merit scholarship.
What are characteristics of a good Scholarship Assistant?
- Ability to learn and retain large quantities of information
- Confidence and the ability to work with the public
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Demonstrate attention to details
- Ability to serve as a role model to students
- Strong computer skills, including navigating the web and other online resources
- Reliable and dependable
How much do Scholarship Assistants get paid?
The position starts at $9.25 per hour. Job performance is evaluated each year, which provides opportunity for pay increases.
What is the time commitment for Scholarship Assistants?
Scholarship assistants generally work 10 – 20 hours per week. Shifts are scheduled between the hours of 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Opportunities for additional early morning, evening, and weekend hours may be available.
What is the selection process for Scholarship Assistants?
UPDATED: Selected applicants will be invited to participate in the interview process, scheduled to take place the week of May 30, 2017 through June 19, 2017. The position start date is tentatively July 5, 2017.
How do I apply?
What is the application deadline?
For best consideration, submit your completed application by 4:00pm, Monday, June 5, 2017.
Do you have questions?
- Supervisor: Keia Brown, Associate Director of Merit Scholarships
- Contact Person: Keia Brown
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 410-455-8911
- Best time to contact: 8:30am- 4:30pm, Monday-Friday