Priority Deadline: April 14, 2017
Applications should be submitted by the priority deadline of April 14th in order for your application to be processed by the first billing due date.
Final Deadline: June 23, 2017
Students who would like to be considered for Stafford Loans and/or Pell Grant funding for the summer 2017 semester must complete the 2017 Summer Financial Aid Application after they have enrolled in their courses. Please review the eligibility criteria below and see the Summer/Winter page for more information.
How Will It Pay My Bill?
- Federal Stafford Loans and/or the Pell Grant may not cover your total summer charges. You can use the Summer 2017 Undergraduate Cost Calculator or the Summer 2017 Graduate Cost Calculator to estimate your anticipated expenses and anticipated summer aid to determine any out-of-pocket costs. A breakdown of tuition, fees, and other costs for Summer Sessions I and II can be found on Student Business Services’ Summer 2017 Tuition and Fees page.
- If you require additional financial assistance for summer see “Other Types of Aid” below.
- A late fee will be assessed if you do not pay the difference prior to your billing due date.
- The summer term consists of all Summer Sessions. For this reason, final aid eligibility will be reviewed following the last add/drop date of Summer Session II. Aid will be approved or adjusted based upon your final enrollment for the combined Summer Sessions and will be released to apply to your billing account in mid-July.
- You must be admitted as a UMBC degree-seeking student and be meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.
- If you are an incoming freshman, do not complete this application. Please make an appointment to speak with a Financial Aid Counselor regarding your aid options.
- You must have a valid 2016-2017 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on file with our office.
- Visit www.fafsa.gov to apply online with our school code 002105.
- You must submit all requested documents to our office.
- You must be enrolled in all courses you plan to take for all Summer Sessions prior to submitting the 2017 Summer Financial Aid Application to our office.
Note: While not required, we strongly encourage students to have a 2017-2018 FAFSA on file as well.
Additional Pell Grant Requirements:
- You must be eligible for the Pell Grant as stated on the Student Aid Report (SAR) resulting from your FAFSA application.
- It is strongly recommended that your 2017-2018 FAFSA be on file, as well. If you are ineligible for Summer Pell Grant funding from 2016-2017, you will be reviewed for Summer Pell Grant eligibility based upon your 2017-2018 FAFSA. All requested documents for both years must be submitted for this review.
Additional Stafford Loan Requirements:
- A valid Federal Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling must be completed and on record with our office. Follow the instructions on our Loans page to complete these steps.
- You must be enrolled for the Summer Session I and/or Summer Session II terms for at least 6 credits combined to be eligible for Federal Stafford Loans. Audited courses do not count toward enrollment for financial aid purposes.
- Federal Stafford Loans can only be processed for students who have remaining loan eligibility from the Fall 2016-Spring 2017 award year. Speak with your Financial Aid Counselor to determine if you have remaining eligibility for a Federal Stafford Loan.
- Federal Stafford Loan eligibility will be offered to you at the maximum amount. You must accept your Federal Stafford Loan(s) via your myUMBC account before they will appear on your account as pending financial aid.
Other Types of Aid Available:
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan or Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan
- A valid Master Promissory Note and Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application must be completed and on record with our office to receive a PLUS Loan. Follow the instructions on our Loans page for more information about the PLUS Loan options and actions required.
- You must be enrolled for the Summer Session I and/or Summer Session II terms for a combined 6 credits to be eligible for a Federal PLUS Loan. Audited and wait-listed courses do not count toward enrollment for financial aid purposes.
- Alternative Loan
- A valid application must be submitted to the lender of your choice. Follow the instructions on our Loans page to learn how you may apply for an Alternative Loan.
Please note: If the form is not viewable, please try opening the form in IE or Firefox. New students should also upgrade their myUMBC account before accessing our electronic forms. If you are unable to submit our electronic forms visit our Paper Forms page to access the pdf version.