Priority Deadline: April 15, 2016
Final Deadline: June 24, 2016
Students who would like to be considered for Stafford Loans and/or Pell Grant for the summer 2016 semester must complete the application form linked below. Please review the eligibility criteria below and see the Summer/Winter page for more information.
- You must be admitted as a UMBC degree-seeking student and meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.
- If you are an incoming freshman, do not complete this application. Please make an appointment to speak with a financial aid counselor regarding your aid options.
- You must have a valid 2015-2016 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on file with our office.
- Visit www.fafsa.gov to apply online with our school code 002105.
- You must submit all requested documents to our office.
- You must be enrolled in all courses you plan to take for all summer sessions prior to submitting the 2016 Summer Aid Application to our office.
Note: While not required, we strongly encourage students to have a 2016-2017 FAFSA on file as well.
Additional Pell Grant Requirements:
- You must be eligible for Pell Grant as stated on your Student Aid Report resulting from your FAFSA application.
- It is recommended that your 2016-2017 FAFSA be on file. If ineligible for Pell Grant from 2015-2016 you will be reviewed for Summer Pell Grant eligibility based upon your 2016-2017 FAFSA. All requested documents must be submitted for this review.
Additional Stafford Loan Requirements:
- A valid Master Promissory Note must be completed and on record with our office. Follow the instructions on our Loans page to apply.
- You must be enrolled for the Summer Session I and/or Summer Session II terms for a combined 6 credits to be eligible for Federal Stafford Loans. Audited courses do not count toward enrollment for financial aid purposes.
- Federal Stafford Loans will only be processed for students who have remaining loan eligibility from the fall 2015/spring 2016 award year. Speak with your Financial Aid Counselor to determine if you have eligibility for the Stafford Loan.
- Federal Stafford Loan eligibility will be provided to you at the maximum amount. You must accept your Stafford Loans via your myUMBC account before they will appear on your account as pending financial aid.
How will it pay my bill?
- Stafford Loans and/or Pell Grants may not cover your full summer charges. Calculate your anticipated expenses and anticipated summer aid to determine your out of pocket cost. If you require additional financial assistance for summer see “Other Types of Aid” below.
- A late fee will be assessed if you do not pay the difference prior to your billing due date.
- The summer term consists of all summer sessions. For this reason, final aid eligibility will be reviewed following the last add/drop date of Summer Session II. Aid will be approved or adjusted based upon your final enrollment for the combined summer terms and will be released to apply to your billing account mid-July.
Other Types of Aid Available:
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan or Federal Direct Grad Plus Loan
- A valid Master Promissory Note and Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application must be completed and on record with our office to receive the PLUS Loan. Follow the instructions on our Loans page to learn how to request the PLUS Loan.
- You must be enrolled for the Summer Session I and/or Summer Session II terms for a combined 6 credits to be eligible for a Federal PLUS Loan. Audited and wait listed courses do not count toward enrollment for financial aid purposes.
- Alternative Loan
- A valid application must be submitted to the lender of your choice. Follow the instructions on our Loans page to learn how you may apply for an Alternative Loan.
We Are No Longer Accepting 2016 Summer Aid Applications
Please note: Java must be enabled in your browser to access our electronic forms. If you receive a message stating that the plug-in is not supported, please try accessing the form in IE or Firefox with the latest version of Java installed. The forms are unavailable in Chrome at this time. New students should also upgrade their myUMBC account before accessing our electronic forms. If you are unable to submit our electronic forms visit our Paper Forms page to access the pdf version.