Students who were placed in out of home placement by the Maryland Department of Human Resources may qualify for a tuition and fees waiver. Placement circumstances include:
- Resided in an out of home placement in Maryland at the time he or she graduated from high school or successfully completed a general equivalency examination; or
- Resided in an out of home placement on his or her 13th birthday, and was placed into guardianship or adopted out of an out of home placement after his or her 13th birthday; or
- Be the younger sibling of a child who meets the qualifications stated above and was placed into guardianship or adopted concurrently out of an out of home placement by the same guardianship or adoptive family.
Further eligibility criteria include:
- FAFSA completed by March 1st for the upcoming school year
- Enrolled on or before reaching the age of 25
- Meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (SAP)
Eligible students can utilize the waiver during any term (fall, winter, spring, summer). The waiver can be renewed for 4 years or a Bachelor’s degree is awarded, whichever comes first. Renewal eligibility requires the student remains meeting SAP standards AND the FAFSA is completed by March 1st for the upcoming school year.
More information about the waiver program can be found on the Maryland Higher Education Commission website. Students who believe they may qualify for the waiver should contact our office to request consideration.