Below is a step-by-step tool that will continue to guide you through the financial aid process beginning with the submission of your FAFSA and concluding with the payment of your bill. We hope that you find the links helpful. Be sure to visit the rest of our website, as there is additional information that may meet your specific needs.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Be sure to include our school code, 002105, and retain your confirmation page for your records. Need help submitting the FAFSA? Get help directly from the source.
- Fall 2021/Spring 2022: Submit the 2021-2022 FAFSA after October 1, 2020 but by March 1, 2021 for priority consideration for financial aid
- Fall 2022/Spring 2023: Submit the 2022-2023 FAFSA after October 1, 2021 but by March 1, 2022 for priority consideration for financial aid.
- Beginning in late March, electronic notifications will be sent advising students to view their Financial Aid Offers on myUMBC.
- All required documents must be submitted and reviewed before your award offer is created. Failure to respond within the requested time frame may reduce your financial aid funding.
- Many awards listed on your initial award offer may be based on full-time enrollment. If you plan to enroll in less than 12 credits as an undergraduate student or less than nine credits as a graduate student, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss how part-time enrollment may affect your awards.
Need to Borrow a Loan?
If the combination of your grants, scholarships and personal contributions are not sufficient to cover your costs you may want to apply for a loan.
If you have never applied for a Direct Stafford Loan:
- Apply for a loan. Submit your loan application by the priority date to ensure that your loan funds will arrive at UMBC in a timely manner. Apply for loans by our priority deadline date – please visit Loans for additional information and to see final application deadline dates.
- Please note that in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan you must be enrolled in six or more credits.
If you need to borrow more than your Stafford Loan eligibility allows, view information about additional Loan possibilities.
- Register for classes via your myUMBC account after your registration date has been assigned.
- Review your e-bill through myUMBC by navigating to the “Guide” then “Billing and Personal Finances.”
- Pay your bill prior to the due date and avoid late fees.
- Please note: federal financial aid cannot pay late fees. You can use money you received as a refund to pay these charges.
- Under limited circumstances the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships can request a late fee be waived.
- Review the Book Loan process to see if you are eligible.
- All students must meet financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid awards. Students’ academic progress will be evaluated annually each June.
- Continue to check your myUMBC account for additional email requests, award revisions and requested documents.
- Know your Student Rights and Responsibilities as a student consumer.
Need More Assistance?
If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us for more information about the application process, the status of your awards or to submit documents.