Thank you for your interest in the Humanities Scholars Program. In addition to the information you supplied on the UMBC Common Application, you will need to complete the Humanities application to be considered as a candidate for the program. When completing the application you will not have the option to save and return at a later time. You will need to complete and submit your application in one sitting. The application and all supplemental materials must be received by the priority deadline.
Freshmen Deadline: January 15, 2018
Please refer to the information below in preparation for completing the Humanities Scholars application.
UMBC Campus ID
The Humanities application will require that you have your UMBC Campus ID. Your Campus ID will be sent approximately five to seven business days after you have submitted your Common Application to UMBC. We strongly encourage you to complete your undergraduate admissions package before November 1. This includes submission of your Common Application, high school transcript, and standardized test score results.
You should prepare short essay answers of 300 words or less. The application will allow you to cut and paste your answers from your word processing software into the form. The questions you will need to answer are:
- What are your principal areas of academic interest? What are your career goals?
- Describe one or two extracurricular activities that have been particularly meaningful for you. What are your hobbies and interests outside of school?
- What service or leadership experience have you gained through school or community actions?
You will also need to supply a writing sample. The document must be submitted as an Adobe PDF file or as a Microsoft Word document. The writing sample should provide a formal academic piece of writing, not to exceed five pages. The sample should be one from your study of any humanities related field.
Appropriate humanities-related subjects include: Africana Studies, American Studies, Ancient Studies, Cultural Anthropology, English, Gender and Women’s Studies, History, Media and Communication Studies, Modern Languages, Linguistics and Intercultural Communication, Philosophy, and Interdisciplinary Studies.
It should demonstrate your critical reading and thinking skills at their best. Include the assignment instructions, name of instructor, and a brief description of the course; please do not submit your original graded assignment.
You will be required to submit two letters of recommendation addressing your suitability for this program. The letters should speak to your commitment to the humanities. The letters should be from teachers in the humanities who are familiar with your work. At least one recommendation should be from an English, history or foreign language teacher.
There are three (3) ways you may submit recommendation letters indicated below. Please communicate with recommenders to identify their preferred method and allow enough time for a January 15 submission.
- Students may upload and attach an electronic version of their recommendations (jpeg, pdf, doc) using the online Humanities application.
- Students may provide each recommender with a Scholars Program Recommendation Form to be completed and sent by mail or fax (details on form).
- Recommenders may choose to personally upload the Scholars Program Recommendation Form and supporting documents via our contact form. Note recommenders are not required to be listed on the student’s Authorization to Disclose Information Form
You may also use this application to apply for the UMBC Honors College. Admission decisions for the Honors College are determined by a separate committee. For consideration, applicants should have a minimum high school grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.00 scale in a strong college preparatory curriculum that includes honors, Advancement Placement or International Baccalaureate coursework.
The deadline has passed for Fall 2018 Applicants