Students who would like to be considered for Federal Pell Grant and/or Federal Direct Stafford Loan funding for Summer Session 2018 must complete the 2018 Summer Financial Aid Application linked below. Please review the eligibility criteria and billing information below before submitting your application.
The 2018 Summer Financial Aid Application is closed. Check back in Spring 2019 for the 2019 Summer Application!
How Summer Financial Aid Works:
To request consideration for Summer Session financial aid, apply using the link below. Staff will evaluate your eligibility and you will be notified of the outcome via your UMBC e-mail.
If you are eligible for Summer Session financial aid, your aid may not cover your total summer charges. Calculate your anticipated expenses and anticipated financial aid to determine your out-of-pocket costs. To avoid late fees on your student account, pay any difference between your Summer Session bill and Summer Session financial aid prior to your billing due date. You can find Student Business Services’ billing schedule here. If you require additional financial assistance for Summer Session 2018, please see “Other Types of Aid” below.
Summer 2018 consists of both Summer Session I and Summer Session II. Your final Summer Session aid eligibility will be reviewed following the last add/drop date of Summer Session II. Aid will be approved or adjusted based on your combined final enrollment for Summer Session I and Summer Session II and will be released to apply towards your student account in mid-July.
General Eligibility Requirements:
- You must be admitted to UMBC and be working towards a degree or approved certificate program at UMBC.
- You must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.
- You must have a valid 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with our office.
- You must submit all requested documents to our office.
- You must be enrolled in all the courses you plan to take for all Summer Sessions prior to submitting the 2018 Summer Aid Application to our office.
Additional Pell Grant Requirements:
- You must be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant as stated on the Student Aid Report (SAR) resulting from your FAFSA.
- We strongly recommend that you have a valid 2018-2019 FAFSA on file with our office, as well. If you are ineligible for summer Pell Grant funding from 2017-2018, you will be reviewed for summer Pell Grant funding based on your 2018-2019 FAFSA. All requested documents for both years must be submitted for this review.
Additional Stafford Loan Requirements:
- A valid Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling must be completed and on file with our office.
- Your total summer enrollment must be at least six (6) credits in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans. Audited and/or wait-listed courses do not count towards your total enrollment for financial aid.
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans can only be processed for students who have remaining eligibility from the Fall 2017-Spring 2018 award year.
- You will be offered the maximum amount of Federal Direct Stafford Loan funding for which you are eligible. You must accept your Federal Direct Stafford Loan(s) via myUMBC before funding will appear on your account as pending financial aid.
Other Types of Aid:
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan or Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan
- Your total summer enrollment must be at least six (6) credits in order to be eligible for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. Audited and/or wait-listed courses do not count towards your total enrollment for financial aid.
- A valid Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application and a valid Federal Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) must be completed and on file with our office in order to receive a PLUS Loan.
- Alternative Loans
- A valid application must be submitted to the lender of your choice.
- Detailed instructions for applying for an Alternative Loan are available here.