The Maryland Tuition Waiver for Foster Care Recipients is available to foster care youth under the age of 25 who are enrolled as a candidate for an Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, or vocational certificate at a Maryland public college or university. Recipients are exempt from paying tuition and mandatory fees at a Maryland public college or university for up to ten (10) years.
To be eligible for the Maryland Tuition Waiver for Foster Care Recipients, a youth must have:
- Been placed in an out-of-home placement by the Maryland Department of Human Services (MDHS) and either;
- Resided in an out-of-home placement in Maryland at the time they graduated from high school or successfully completed a General Equivalency Development Examination (GED);
- Resided in an out-of-home placement in Maryland at the time of their 18th birthday or;
- Resided in an out-of home placement on their 13th birthday and have been placed into guardianship or adopted out of an out-of-home placement after their 13th birthday or;
- Resided in an out-of-home placement in Maryland for at least one (1) year on or after their 13th birthday and returned to live with their parents after the out-of-home placement ended.
The younger sibling(s) of an eligible foster care recipient may also be eligible if they are concurrently placed into guardianship or adopted out of an out-of-home placement by the same guardianship or adoptive family.
Additionally, recipients must:
- File the FAFSA each year they wish to receive the waiver.
- Be enrolled at a Maryland public college or university on or before reaching the age of 25.
- Be enrolled full-time or part-time for an Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, or Vocational Certificate at a Maryland Public Institution of higher education.
Eligible students can utilize the Foster Care Tuition Waiver during any term (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer). Effective April 2, 2018 with the passage of SBS0085 (Tuition Waivers-Foster Care Recipients-Eligibility), the length of time during which eligible students are exempt from tuition was extended from 5 years to 10 years.