If you are not meeting SAP standards, you may submit an appeal to be considered for financial aid probation. Your appeal must describe the circumstance(s) that impacted your ability to meet SAP standards as well as outline your plans and ability to succeed in future semesters and bring yourself within standards. Appeal circumstances may include injury or illness, death of a relative, caring for ill relatives, or other special circumstances that impacted your academic success. If you choose to submit an appeal, complete both the Appeal and the Academic Plan.
The July 14th appeal deadline for Summer 2022 and Fall 2022 has now passed. If you had an extenuating circumstance that prevented you from completing the appeal, we encourage you to contact your financial aid counselor to request an extension.
Submitting an Appeal
Both the Appeal and Academic Plan must be completed and submitted electronically by the specified semester deadline for consideration.
Step 1: Submitting the Appeal:
- The appeal form will request that you share the reason(s) you failed to meet SAP standards and explain what has changed to ensure that you will be successful in the future.
- Please note: Contents of this appeal are confidential. However, we are concerned for your well-being. In an instance where someone’s well-being appears at risk, our staff will consult with the appropriate UMBC personnel.
- A copy of your most recent transcript is required to be attached to the electronic appeal form.
- Optionally, you may include supporting documentation for the circumstance(s) discussed in your appeal letter – time frames on your documentation should match the time frames of the circumstance(s) described in your letter. For example:
- If an immediate family member passed away, include an obituary or death certificate.
- For medical issues, include a completed SAP Medical Documentation Form. For confidentiality, please do not submit copies of your medical records.
- For an employment situation, include a signed and dated statement from your employer on company letterhead.
- For an auto accident, include a police report and/or a completed SAP Medical Documentation Form.
Step 2: Submitting the Academic Plan:
- The Academic Plan will request an outline of your coursework for each semester through graduation.
- It is highly recommended that you schedule an appointment with your advisor to discuss your academic plan.
- If you are unsure of who your advisor is, you may contact the departmental advising coordinator.
- The Academic Plan pdf should be completed and uploaded to the Academic Plan DocuSign form so that it may be submitted to your advisor.
- It will require you to include your Academic Advisor’s email address. Your plan will be forwarded to your advisor for review and comments.
- Once your advisor has reviewed your Academic Plan, you will be emailed a final copy of your plan and advisor’s comments. After you review and sign, it will be forwarded to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships and linked to your appeal.
- If your advisor is not in support of your plan, you will have the opportunity to upload an updated Academic Plan.
Please keep in mind that submission of a SAP appeal does not guarantee that your appeal will be approved. SAP decisions rendered by the SAP Appeals Committee are final and cannot be appealed. You will be responsible for payment of your bill by the due date for any outstanding charges even if your appeal decision is pending.
If currently dismissed or suspended from UMBC
You must be readmitted to the university before an appeal decision can be made. For best consideration, submit your appeal by the stated deadline while awaiting your decision for reinstatement and contact your Financial Aid Counselor once you have been readmitted.
You should keep in mind that reinstatement to the university does not guarantee receipt of financial aid.
SAP Appeal Deadlines
Both the appeal and academic plan must be submitted by the below date for consideration. Incomplete appeals will not be considered.
Summer 2022 and Fall 2022 deadline: July 14, 2022
- If appealing to receive Summer Pell Grant based on your 2022-2023 FAFSA and/or Fall 2022 financial aid, submit your appeal and approved academic plan by this deadline.
- If enrolled in Summer Session courses, all summer grades must be reviewed by the SAP Appeals Committee before a decision can be provided for Fall 2022 aid eligibility.
Spring 2023 deadline: January 6, 2023
- If appealing to receive Spring 2023 financial aid, you must submit your appeal and academic plan by this deadline.
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the Spring semester.
Summer 2023 deadline: April 23, 2023
- If appealing to receive Summer Pell 2023 , submit your appeal and approved academic plan by this deadline.
- If enrolled in Summer Session courses, all summer grades must be reviewed by the SAP Appeals Committee before a decision can be provided for Fall 2023 aid eligibility.
If you do not appeal by one of these deadline dates, you will not have financial aid to assist you for the 2022-2023 academic year.