A SAP Appeal may be submitted for consideration. An appeal can be submitted electronically or by using the paper appeal process. With either option, the information below outlines the requirements for your appeal to be considered. Plan accordingly to meet with an obtain an Academic Advisor’s signature on the Academic Plan. Even if choosing to submit the electronic appeal, the Academic Plan form must be printed, completed, and signed before uploading it as part of the electronic appeal:
- A signed 2019-2020 SAP Appeal Form confirming the semester for which you are appealing and your understanding of the requirements and deadlines for submitting the appeal.
- A typed one page explanation that discusses the reason(s) you failed to meet SAP standards for the semester(s) as reflected on your transcript – you must also include what has changed and your plan to ensure future academic success.
- Contents of this appeal are confidential, however we are concerned for your well being. Under certain conditions where yours or other’s well-being may be at risk, our staff will consult with the appropriate UMBC personnel.
- A completed 2019-2020 SAP Academic Plan Worksheet- this form must be reviewed and signed by a UMBC Academic Advisor.
- A copy of your unofficial UMBC transcript.
- (optional) Documentation supporting the extenuating circumstance(s) discussed in your appeal letter – timeframes on your documentation should match the timing of the circumstance described in your letter. For example:
- if an immediate family member passed away, include an obituary or death certificate.
- for medically-related issues, include a completed 2019-2020 SAP Medical Documentation Form.
- for an employment situation, include a signed and dated statement from that employer on company letterhead.
- for an auto accident, include a police report and/or a completed 2019-2020 SAP Medical Documentation Form.
Please keep in mind that submission of a SAP appeal does not guarantee that your appeal will be approved. SAP decisions rendered by the SAP Appeals Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
You may continue to attend classes while appealing SAP restriction; however, financial aid will not be released unless the appeal is approved. If you wish to receive an appeal decision that may impact your decision to enroll, you should appeal by the earliest possible deadline date stated on the appeal form. Please be aware that late appeals will not be considered. You will be responsible for payment of your bill by the due date for any outstanding charges even if your appeal decision is pending.
Please note if you are currently dismissed or suspended from UMBC, you must:
- Submit your appeal by the stated deadline date while awaiting your decision for reinstatement.
- Be readmitted to the university before a decision can be made regarding your SAP appeal.
- Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships once you have been readmitted
You should keep in mind that reinstatement to the university does not guarantee receipt of financial aid.
2019-2020 Deadlines for SAP Appeals
The SAP Appeals Committee will meet to review all complete appeals and decision letters will be emailed to your myUMBC email address within 3-4 weeks of the deadline date. Decisions made by the SAP Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
Please note: if you are currently enrolled and appealing for the upcoming semester, all current semester grades must be reviewed before your appeal decision can be determined.
You must submit the appeal and all supporting documentation no later than one of the following deadline dates:
July 19, 2019, 4:00pm, EST
- If you are appealing to receive Summer Pell Grant based on your 2019-20 FAFSA and/or Fall 2019 financial aid, you must submit all documents by this deadline.
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the Fall 2019 semester unless you were enrolled in Summer Session courses – all Summer grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for Fall 2019 eligibility.
January 3, 2020, 4:00pm, EST
- If you are appealing to receive Spring 2020 financial aid, you must submit all documents by this deadline.
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the Spring semester unless you were enrolled in Fall 2019 courses – Fall 2019 grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for Spring 2020 or Summer Session 2020.
April 30, 2020, 4:00pm, EST
- If you are appealing to receive financial aid for Summer Session 2020, you must submit all documents by this deadline.
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the Summer Session unless you were enrolled in Spring 2020 courses – Spring 2020 grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for Summer Session eligibility.
If you do not appeal by one of these deadline dates, you will not have financial aid to assist you for the 2019-2020 academic year.
For your appeal to be considered, please submit the following documentation:
- 2019-2020 SAP Appeal Form
- 2019-2020 SAP Academic Plan Worksheet
- 2019-2020 SAP Medical Documentation Form
Please be aware that late and/or incomplete appeals will not be considered.
If you are currently dismissed or suspended from UMBC, you should submit your appeal by the stated deadline date while awaiting your decision for reinstatement. You must be readmitted to the university before your SAP appeal can be considered. You should keep in mind that reinstatement to the university does not guarantee receipt of financial aid.