Undocumented Students

Undocumented and DACA students pursuing a bachelors degree can be considered for institutional grant aid and may be eligible to apply to some State aid programs.

Merit Aid

UMBC offers merit scholarships to all qualified entering freshmen, including undocumented and DACA students. Merit awards are based on students’ academic performance, including high school cumulative grade point average (GPA) and SAT/ACT scores.

Community college transfer students, including undocumented and DACA students, are considered for merit scholarships based on their cumulative grade point average (GPA) earned at their prior college(s).  Explore UMBC’s freshmen and transfer scholarship opportunities.

Already a UMBC student?  Check out Scholarship Retriever for scholarship opportunities available to current students.

Institutional Need-Based Aid

Beginning with the 2019-2020 award year, undocumented and DACA students can apply for the financial need-based UMBC Grant. Eligible students will receive a grant ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 for the year.  Students are held to the same Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards expected for all need-based Federal, State, and institutional need-based financial aid recipients.

For consideration, complete the 2021-2022 UMBC Grant Application, gather the requested tax documents, and contact Colleen Lindbeck, Senior Associate Director to arrange for application submission and decision timeframes.

State Aid

Beginning with the 2019-2020 award year, undocumented and DACA students who are eligible for in-state tuition are eligible to apply for various State financial aid grants and scholarships using the Maryland State Financial Aid Application (MSFAA).

Learn more about MSFAA

Federal Aid

As Federal financial aid programs generally require that the student be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, undocumented and DACA students are normally ineligible to receive Federal financial aid. For more information on what constitutes an eligible non-citizen, view our page on financial aid citizenship requirements. The U.S. Department of Education provides information about financial aid for undocumented and DACA students.

Students may also find the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) Tip Sheet for Undocumented Students helpful in answering some general questions regarding the financial aid eligibility for undocumented and DACA students.

A Q&A sheet entitled Financial Aid and Undocumented Students has been released by the U.S. Department of Education to provide additional guidance to undocumented students and their families.

In-State Tuition Rate

Undocumented and DACA students who graduated from a Maryland high school and completed their associate’s degree at a Maryland community college may be eligible for in-state tuition rates. Eligibility criteria and forms to request in-state tuition can be found on the Registrar’s Residency page. Questions regarding consideration for in-state residency may be directed to the Registrar’s Office.