COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
UMBC is open. The physical campus is closed, but courses are now online and employees are working remotely.
Skip to Main Content

Verification of Citizenship

If your citizenship status is not verified by the Department of Homeland Security when you initially complete your FAFSA, you will be required to submit documentation to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships verifying your citizenship status to our office.

U.S. citizens flagged for verification of citizenship on the FAFSA should contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to update their federal records to prevent repeated future requests. Use the link provided above and contact the SSA to find out how to update your record.

Acceptable Documentation for FAFSA Verification of Citizenship

For our office to verify citizenship, one of the following original documents must be brought to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. Mailed, e-mailed, or faxed copies are unacceptable:

If you are an U.S. citizen born in the United States, examples of acceptable documentation include:

  • Your birth certificate
  • Your U.S. passport

If you are a U.S. citizen born outside the United States, examples of acceptable documentation include:

  • Your Certificate of Citizenship
  • Your U.S. passport
  • Your Certificate of Naturalization

If you are an eligible non-citizen, examples of acceptable documentation include:

  • Your Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551 or I-151)
  • Your passport stamped, “Processed for I-551 . . . valid until ___”
  • Your Departure Record (I-94)