Students may experience special circumstances that require appeal or additional consideration.
- Change in Circumstances Appeal-A student’s eligibility for financial aid is based on the information reported on the FAFSA. Students who would like to request a review of their eligibility based upon a change in circumstances can submit a Change in Circumstances appeal alongside supporting documentation.
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal– UMBC is required to monitor its student’s academic progress to ensure that they maintain a minimum standard GPA and make steady progress toward degree completion. Students who do not meet the SAP requirements may lose their financial aid eligibility. Students who are not meeting SAP are able to appeal for financial aid consideration
- Dependency Appeal– Students are classified as dependent or independent based on the information submitted on the FAFSA application. Students who have unusual circumstances that wish to appeal for independent status may be eligible to complete the Dependency Appeal for consideration.
- Homeless Determination– Students who experience housing insecurity may be eligible for an unaccompanied homeless youth determination. Maryland students who have/are facing homelessness may also qualify for a homeless youth tuition and fee waiver.
- Withdrawals and Refunds– Full withdrawal from the university may have an impact on financial aid eligibility based on the date of withdrawal.