Welcome to UMBC!
Below is a step-by-step tool that will guide you through the financial aid process beginning with your application for admission to UMBC and concluding with the payment of your bill. The links are helpful to both prospective and incoming graduate students. Be sure to visit the rest of our website for more information that may meet your specific needs.
- Apply for admission to the Graduate School.
- Create your myUMBC account and join UMBC’s online community.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Be sure to include our school code, 002105, and retain your confirmation page for your records. Need help submitting the FAFSA? Get help directly from the source.
- Fall 2020/Spring 2021: Submit the 2020-2021 FAFSA after October 1, 2019 but by February 14, 2020 for priority consideration for financial aid.
- Fall 2021/Spring 2022: Submit the 2021-2022 FAFSA after October 1, 2020 but by March 1, 2021 for priority consideration for financial aid.
- Once you have been admitted to UMBC, you must upgrade your myUMBC account. Your upgraded account will allow you to set up your UMBC email. Please note that we will correspond with you exclusively through your UMBC email address so be sure to monitor it regularly.
- Financial aid eligibility is evaluated after university admission. Students are notified via email when their financial aid offer is available to view in myUMBC.
- Review your myUMBC notifications and to-dos and reply to requests promptly. Failure to respond within the requested time frame may reduce your financial aid funding.
- Privacy laws restrict information that can be disclosed regarding student records. Please visit our Profile Sharing page for more information on how to authorize others to access your financial aid and billing information.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses using our Cost Calculator tool.
One More Step
- Apply for a loan if the combination of your grants, scholarships and personal contributions are not sufficient to cover your costs. Apply for loans by our priority deadline date – please visit Loans for additional information and to see final application deadline dates.
- Please note that in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans, you must be enrolled in six or more credits each semester.
- Register for classes.
- Create your E-billing account via the Student Business Services office for a snapshot of your bill. For ongoing billing information, view your myUMBC.
- Pay your bill prior to the due date and avoid late fees.
- Please note: federal financial aid cannot pay late fees. You can use money you received as a refund to pay these charges.
- Under limited circumstances the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships can request a late fee be waived.
- Review the Book Loan process to see if you are eligible.
- All students must meet financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid awards. Students’ academic progress will be evaluated annually each June.
- Continue to check your myUMBC account for additional email requests, award revisions and requested documents.
- If you plan to attend a summer session before your first fall semester, contact your Financial Aid Counselor for additional information.
- Know your Student Rights and Responsibilities as a student consumer.
Need More Assistance?
If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us for more information about the application process, the status of your awards or to submit documents.
Inquiries surrounding eligibility or appeals will be directed to your assigned Financial Aid Counselor, who will schedule an appointment to discuss your questions. This personalized approach allows you to have one point of contact for your financial aid and scholarship inquiries. Please visit our Contact Us page to find your Financial Aid Counselor’s contact information.