Below is a step-by-step tool that will continue to guide you through the financial aid process beginning with the submission of your FAFSA and concluding with the payment of your bill. We hope that you find the links helpful.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online or via the myStudentAid mobile app.
Be sure to include our school code, 002105, and retain your confirmation page for your records. Need help submitting the FAFSA? Get help directly from the source.
- The FAFSA application becomes available on October 1st for the following academic year.
- Fall 2023/Spring 2024: Submit the 2023-2024 FAFSA after October 1, 2022
- Fall 2024/Spring 2025: Submit the 2024-2025 FAFSA when it is released in December, 2023
- For Priority consideration to need-based awards, we encourage all students to complete the FAFSA by our March 1st priority deadline for the upcoming academic year.
- Once you have been admitted to UMBC, you must upgrade your myUMBC account. Your upgraded account will allow you to set up your UMBC email. Please note that we will correspond with you exclusively through your UMBC email address so be sure to monitor it regularly.
- Financial aid eligibility is evaluated after university admission. Students are notified via email when their financial aid offer is available to view in myUMBC.
- Two easy ways to navigate to your awards:
- Log into myUMBC and click “Profile” at the top of the page. You will now see multiple ‘cards’ and can click on “Financial Aid” to access your financial aid offer.
- Log into myUMBC and click “Guide” to access the “Billing and Personal Finances” option on the left. Select “View Financial Aid Inquiry” to see your aid.
- Two easy ways to navigate to your awards:
- Review your myUMBC notifications and to-dos and reply to requests promptly. Failure to respond within the requested time frame may reduce your financial aid funding.
- Privacy laws restrict information that can be disclosed regarding student records. Please visit our Profile Sharing page for more information on how to authorize others to access your financial aid and billing information.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses using our Cost Calculator tool.
One More Step
- Apply for a loan if the combination of your grants, scholarships and personal contributions are not sufficient to cover your costs. Apply for loans by our priority deadline date – please visit Loans for additional information and to see final application deadline dates.
- Please note that in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loans, you must be enrolled in six or more credits each semester.
- Register for classes.
- Create your E-billing account via the Student Business Services office for a snapshot of your bill. For ongoing billing information, view your myUMBC.
- Pay your bill prior to the due date and avoid late fees.
- Please note: federal financial aid cannot pay late fees. You can use money you received as a refund to pay these charges.
- Under limited circumstances the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships can request a late fee be waived.
- Financial Aid disburses a maximum of 10 days before the start of each semester for full-time students. You can view the full Financial Aid Disbursement Calendar to determine when your aid will apply to your account.
- Review the Book Loan process to see if you are eligible.
- All students must meet financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid awards. Students’ academic progress will be evaluated annually each June.
- Continue to check your myUMBC account for additional email requests, award revisions and requested documents.
- If you plan to attend a summer session before your first fall semester, contact your Financial Aid Counselor for additional information.
- Know your Student Rights and Responsibilities as a student consumer.Need More Assistance?
Need More Assistance?
Be sure to visit the rest of our website for more information that may meet your specific needs. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us for more information about the application process, the status of your awards, or to submit documents. Students can contact our front office for general questions or connect with their financial aid counselors directly. At UMBC, students are assigned financial aid counselors based on the first letter of their last name.