Welcome to UMBC!
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is dedicated to assisting all students in understanding the financial aid process and financing their education here at UMBC.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Be sure to include our school code, 002105, and retain your confirmation page for your records. Need help submitting the FAFSA? Get help directly from the source.
- Fall 2022/Spring 2023: Submit the 2022-2023 FAFSA after October 1, 2021 but by March 1, 2022 for priority consideration for financial aid.
- Look at scholarship opportunities. UMBC offers both need and merit-based aid for prospective freshmen and transfer students. We also offer a Scholarship Retriever Tool to assist with searching for additional scholarships here at UMBC.
- Upgrade your myUMBC account to set up your UMBC email, Billing and Personal Finances, and more. Please note that we will correspond with you exclusively through your UMBC email address so be sure to monitor it regularly.
- Financial aid eligibility is evaluated after university admission. Students are notified via email when their financial aid offer is available to view in myUMBC.
- Students will only receive an award offer after all required verification documents have been submitted and reviewed if they are:
- Incoming Freshmen who submit their FAFSA after May 1st
- Incoming Summer or Fall Transfers who submit their FAFSA after June 15th
- Incoming Spring Transfers who submit their FAFSA after December 13th
- UMBC has adopted the U.S. Department of Education’s College Financing Plan. You can view your College Financing Plan via your myUMBC account. There will be a link to your College Financing Plan when you view your financial aid offer by using the link provided.
- Review your myUMBC notifications and to-dos and reply to requests promptly. Failure to respond within the requested time frame may reduce your financial aid funding.
- Many awards listed on your initial financial aid offer may be based on full-time enrollment (12 credits for undergraduate students, 9 credits for graduate students). If you plan to enroll for less than full time, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss how part-time enrollment may affect your awards.
- Privacy laws restrict information that can be disclosed regarding student records. Please visit our Profile Sharing page for more information on how to authorize others to access your financial aid and billing information.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses using our Cost Calculator tool.
One More Step
- Apply for a loan if the combination of your grants, scholarships and personal contributions are not sufficient to cover your costs. Apply for loans by our priority deadline date – please visit Loans for additional information and to see final application deadline dates.
- Please note that in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and the Federal Direct Loans (Parent PLUS and Graduate PLUS) you must have a FAFSA on file and be enrolled in six or more credits.
- Review your e-bill through myUMBC by navigating to the “Guide” then “Billing and Personal Finances.”
- Pay your bill prior to the due date and avoid late fees.
- Please note: federal financial aid cannot pay late fees. You can use money you received as a refund to pay these charges.
- Under limited circumstances, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships can request a late fee be waived.
- Review the Book Loan process to see if you are eligible.
- Continue to check your myUMBC account for additional email requests, award revisions and requested documents.
- Know your Student Rights and Responsibilities as a student consumer.
Need More Assistance?
If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us for more information about the application process, the status of your awards, or to submit documents. At UMBC, students are assigned financial aid counselors based on the first letter of their last name. Students can contact their financial aid counselors directly or connect with our front office staff