The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is a Federal program, which provides assistance to students pursuing careers in primary and secondary education. TEACH differs from other grant programs because receiving the TEACH Grant means committing to a four year service obligation. Failing to complete the TEACH Grant service obligation can result in the TEACH Grant converting to a Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Eligible students are also required to complete annual counseling and sign an Agreement to Serve, which outline conditions of the TEACH Grant.
TEACH Grant Award Chart
|12+ credits||9-11 credits||6-8 credits
*TEACH is subject to the Budget Control Act of 2011. The final amount of the TEACH Grant will be reduced slightly. Federal Student Aid publishes the amount of the reduction each year.
UMBC students interested in the TEACH Grant must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 or score in the 75th percentile or higher on a college entrance exam (SAT, ACT, GRE, etc.)
- Be pursuing the Undergraduate Education Certificate, Bachelor of Science in Middle Grades STEM Education, MA in Teaching, MA in Education, or MA in TESOL with the K-12 Certification
- Be pursuing a content area that is on the high-needs fields list below.
Eligible students must agree to complete all of the following requirements of the service obligation:
- Agree to teach full-time for at least 4 years, within 8 years after completion of your education program
- Agree to teach in a high-needs field as specified below
- Foreign Language
- Bilingual Education
- English Language Acquisition
- Special Education
- Reading Specialist
- Or any field listed on the Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing (Nationwide List)
- Agree to teach in a low-income school or education service agency, as designated by the US Department of Education
Conversion to a Loan
If the service obligation is not fulfilled within 8 years of completion of the degree, the entire TEACH Grant amount converts to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Interest on Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is asses from the day the TEACH Grant was first received. Consult Federal Student Aid for further terms of the service obligation.
Apply for TEACH at UMBC
If you meet the initial eligibility requirements and are comfortable with the service requirement, complete the TEACH Grant Application below and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Completed applications and questions about the program can be directed to the office’s TEACH Grant coordinator:
Catherine Comstock Financial Aid Counselor * firstname.lastname@example.org