Requirements for Federal, State and Institutional Aid

  • You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • You must be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-citizen
    • You are considered a citizen or eligible non-citizen if you fit into one of the following categories:

      • You are a U.S. Citizen.
      • You are a U.S. National (includes natives of America, Samoa, or Swain’s Island).
      • You are a U.S. Permanent resident with an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151, I-551, or I-551C).
      • You are not a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, but have an I-94 or I-94A with one of the following designations:
        • Refugee
        • Asylum Granted
        • Indefinite Parole
        • Humanitarian Parole
        • Cuban-Haitian entrant, status pending
  • You must have a High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) High School Equivalency Diploma.
  • You must be working towards a degree or approved certificate at UMBC.
    • Audited classes do not count towards a degree or approved certificate at UMBC and therefore are not eligible for Financial Aid. Aid received for any courses changed from graded to audited during the semester will be reduced and/or cancelled.
  • You may not be in default on any federal educational loans or owe a refund on a federal grant.
  • You must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Additional Information