Students who are declared as unaccompanied homeless youth and are not in the physical custody of their parent(s) may qualify for a tuition and fees waiver.
Circumstances may include:
- Children and youth sharing housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason
- Children and youth living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camp grounds due to lack of alternative accommodations
- Children and youth living in emergency or transitional shelters
Children and youth abandoned in hospitals
- Children and youth awaiting foster care placement
- Children and youth whose primary nighttime residence is not ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation (e.g. park benches, etc.)
- Children and youth living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations
- Migratory children and youth living in any of the above situations
Further eligibility criteria include:
- FAFSA completed for the upcoming school year
- Enrolled on or before reaching the age of 25
Eligible students can utilize the waiver during any term (fall, winter, spring, summer). The waiver can be renewed for 4 years or a Bachelor’s degree is awarded, whichever comes first.
More information about the waiver program can be found on the Maryland Higher Education Commission website. Students who believe they may qualify for the waiver should contact our office to request consideration.