A student’s eligibility for financial aid is based on the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). However, students and their families may experience a change in circumstances that affects their ability to contribute to the costs of college.
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships may reevaluate student eligibility when certain financial changes occur. These circumstances include the following:
- Reduction of earned income
- Recent unique medical expenses, not covered by insurance, which impact the ability to pay for college
- Loss of untaxed income
- Separation or divorce of parent or student after filing the FAFSA (separation must be before December 31)
- Student marriage after filing the FAFSA (marriage must be before October 1)
- Death of parent or spouse after filing the FAFSA
- Parent of dependent student also attending college for the same aid year
Students who would like to request a review of their eligibility due to one of the above circumstances can submit a Change in Circumstances appeal alongside supporting documentation. If you have any questions about the appeal, please contact your assigned Financial Aid Counselor to discuss your situation and the documentation that may be needed.
Upon submission, a Financial Aid Counselor will review your appeal and follow up with you within one week to request additional documentation or clarification as needed. All appeal documents and supporting information must be provided before the appeal can be reviewed by the Change in Circumstances committee.
Appeal decisions are emailed to the student’s myUMBC email account and will indicate whether the appeal was approved or denied. Please understand that due to individual financial aid program criteria, not all approved appeals will result in additional financial aid assistance. For this reason, we encourage students to confer with their Financial Aid Counselor prior to submitting an appeal.
Appeals should be submitted electronically via DocuSign. Please download the PDF application below, complete all applicable sections and upload your application alongside your supporting documentation using the DocuSign form below.