Welcome to UMBC!
UMBC offers both need and merit-based aid for prospective transfer students. Learn more about our merit scholarships for incoming transfer students.
Below is a step-by-step tool that will guide you through the financial aid process beginning with your application for admission to UMBC and concluding with the payment of your bill. The links are helpful to both prospective and incoming transfer students.
- Apply for admission with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Be sure to meet the Merit Scholarships priority deadlines
- Fall transfer students: March 1st
- Spring transfer students: October 15th
- Be sure to meet the Merit Scholarships priority deadlines
- Create your myUMBC account and join UMBC’s online community.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online or via the myStudentAid mobile app.
Be sure to include our school code, 002105, and retain your confirmation page for your records. Need help submitting the FAFSA? Get help directly from the source.
- Summer 2023 Fall 2023/Spring 2024: Submit the 2023-2024 FAFSA after October 1, 2022, but by March 1, 2023, for priority consideration for financial aid.
- Summer 2024/Fall 2024/Spring 2025: Submit the 2024-2025 FAFSA when it is released in December, 2023 for priority financial aid consideration.
- Once you have been admitted to UMBC you must upgrade your myUMBC account. Your upgraded account will allow you to set up your UMBC email. Please note that we will correspond with you exclusively through your UMBC email address so be sure to monitor it regularly.
- Financial aid eligibility is evaluated after university admission. Students are notified via email when their financial aid offer is available to view in myUMBC.
- Two easy ways to navigate to your awards:
- Log into myUMBC and click “Profile” at the top of the page. You will now see multiple ‘cards’ and can click on “Financial Aid” to access your financial aid offer.
- Log into myUMBC and click “Guide” to access the “Billing and Personal Finances” option on the left. Select “View Financial Aid Inquiry” to see your aid. Note, this navigation is only available if you have already upgraded your myUMBC account.
- Students will only receive an award offer after all required verification documents have been submitted and reviewed if they are:
- Incoming Summer or Fall Transfers who submit their FAFSA after June 15th
- Incoming Spring Transfers who submit their FAFSA after December 13th
- UMBC has adopted the U.S. Department of Education’s College Financing Plan. You can view your College Financing Plan via your myUMBC account. There will be a link to your College Financing Plan when you view your financial aid offer by using the link provided.
- Review your myUMBC notifications and to-dos and reply to requests promptly. Failure to respond within the requested time frame may reduce your financial aid funding.
- Some awards listed on your initial financial aid offer may be based on full-time enrollment. If you plan to enroll for less than 12 credits, we encourage you to contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss how part-time enrollment may affect your awards.
- Once you have made the decision to attend UMBC, be sure to contact your previous institution to cancel any aid received there for semester you intend to transfer.
- If you have received awards from the Maryland Higher Education Commission, notify them that you are transferring to UMBC
- Privacy laws restrict information that can be disclosed regarding student records. Please visit our Profile Sharing page for more information on how to authorize others to access your financial aid and billing information.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses using our Cost Calculator tool.
One More Step…
- Accept your Transfer Merit Scholarship, if you’ve been awarded.
- Apply for a loan if the combination of your grants, scholarships and personal contributions are not sufficient to cover your costs. Apply for loans by our priority deadline date – please visit Loans for additional information and to see final application deadline dates.
- Please note that in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) and the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan you must have a FAFSA on file and be enrolled in six or more credits.
- Review your e-bill through myUMBC by navigating to the “Guide” then “Billing and Personal Finances.”
- Pay your bill prior to the due date and avoid late fees.
- Please note: federal financial aid cannot pay late fees. You can use money you received as a refund to pay these charges.
- Under limited circumstances the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships can request a late fee be waived.
- Financial Aid disburses a maximum of 10 days before the start of each semester for full-time students. You can view the full Financial Aid Disbursement Calendar to determine when your aid will apply to your account.
- Review the Book Loan process to see if you are eligible.
- All students must meet financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid awards. Students’ academic progress will be evaluated annually each June.
- Continue to check your myUMBC account for additional email requests, award revisions and requested documents.
- Know your Student Rights and Responsibilities as a student consumer.
Need More Assistance?
Be sure to visit the rest of our website for more information that may meet your specific needs. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us for more information about the application process, the status of your awards, or to submit documents. Students can contact our front office for general questions or connect with their financial aid counselors directly. At UMBC, students are assigned financial aid counselors based on the first letter of their last name.
When to complete your FAFSA:
Summer 2023/Fall 2023
After October 1, 2022 but by March 1, 2023
* Be sure to include the UMBC school code (002105)
Merit Consideration Priority Deadline:
**Admissions Application (Common App) and college transcripts must be received by the deadline above in order to be guaranteed consideration for merit-based scholarships.