A SAP appeal must be submitted for review to determine if you can regain eligibility for aid. You must include the following items in order for your appeal to be considered as complete:
- A signed SAP Appeal Form confirming the semester for which you are appealing and your understanding of the requirements and deadlines for submitting the appeal
- A typed one page explanation that discusses the reason(s) you failed to meet SAP standards for the semester(s) as reflected on your transcript – you must also include what has changed and your plan to ensure future academic success
- A completed Academic Plan Worksheet – this form must be reviewed and signed by a UMBC Academic Advisor
- A copy of your unofficial UMBC transcript
- Documentation supporting the extenuating circumstance(s) discussed in your appeal letter – timeframes on your documentation should match the timing of the circumstance described in your letter. For example:
- if an immediate family member passed away, include an obituary or death certificate
- for medically-related issues, include a completed SAP Medical Form
- for an employment situation, include a signed and dated statement from that employer on company letterhead
- for an auto accident, include a police report and/or a completed SAP Medical Form
Please keep in mind that submission of a SAP appeal does not guarantee that your appeal will be approved. SAP decisions rendered by the SAP Appeals Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
You may continue to attend classes while appealing SAP restriction; however, financial aid will not be released unless the appeal is approved. If you wish to receive an appeal decision that may impact your decision to enroll, you should appeal by the earliest possible deadline date stated on the appeal form. Please be aware that late appeals will not be considered. You will be responsible for payment of your bill by the due date for any outstanding charges even if your appeal decision is pending.
Please note if you are currently dismissed or suspended from UMBC, you must:
- submit your appeal by the stated deadline date while awaiting your decision for reinstatement
- be readmitted to the university before a decision can be made regarding your SAP appeal
- contact your financial aid counselor once you have been readmitted
You should keep in mind that reinstatement to the university does not guarantee receipt of financial aid.
2015-2016 Deadlines for SAP Appeals
The SAP Appeals Committee will meet to review all complete appeals and decision letters will be emailed to your myUMBC email address within 3-4 weeks of the deadline date. Decisions made by the SAP Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
Please note: if you are currently enrolled and appealing for the upcoming semester, all current semester grades must be reviewed before your appeal decision can be determined.
You must submit the appeal and all supporting documentation no later than one of the following deadline dates:
July 24, 2015, 4:00pm
- If you are appealing to receive summer Pell Grant based on your 2015/16 FAFSA and/or fall 2015 financial aid, you must submit all documents by this deadline
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the fall semester unless you are enrolled in summer courses – all summer grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for fall eligibility
January 4, 2016, 4:00pm
- If you are appealing to receive spring and/or summer 2016 financial aid, you must submit all documents by this deadline
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the spring semester unless you are enrolled in fall courses – fall grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for spring or summer
May 2, 2016, 4:00pm
- If you are appealing to receive financial aid for summer 2016, you must submit all documents by this deadline
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the summer semester unless you are enrolled in spring courses – spring grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for summer eligibility
If you do not appeal by one of these deadline dates, you will not have financial aid to assist you for the 2015-2016 academic year.
For your appeal to be considered, please submit the following documentation:
Please be aware that late and/or incomplete appeals will not be considered.
If you are currently dismissed or suspended from UMBC, you should submit your appeal by the stated deadline date while awaiting your decision for reinstatement. You must be readmitted to the university before your SAP appeal can be considered. You should keep in mind that reinstatement to the university does not guarantee receipt of financial aid.
Approved SAP Appeals
Students whose SAP appeals are approved will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for the upcoming semester.
Students placed on Financial Aid Probation must:
- Enroll only in the courses outlined in their Academic Plan for each specific term
- Successfully complete each course within the term with a passing grade of A, B, C or P
Students placed on Financial Aid Probation will:
- Only have financial aid approved for the probationary semester
- Have their academic progress reviewed at the end of the first semester of their probationary semester
- Your SAP status will return to financial aid restriction and you will become ineligible for aid if you receive a non-passing grade of D, F, I or W in a course during a probationary semester
Students who fail to meet their plan requirements or have not regained eligibility by meeting SAP standards will be placed on SAP restriction and may only appeal if they have new extenuating circumstances that impacted their inability to meet the terms of their Financial Aid Probation.