- Apply for admission with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Create your myUMBC account and join UMBC’s online community.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.
Be sure to include our school code 002105 and retain your confirmation page for your records.
- Summer 2019/Fall 2019/Spring 2020: Submit the 2019-2020 FAFSA after October 1, 2018 but by February 14, 2019 for priority consideration for financial aid.
- Summer 2020/Fall 2020/Spring 2021: Submit the 2020-2021 FAFSA after October 1, 2019 but by February 14, 2020 for priority consideration for financial aid.
- Once you have been admitted to UMBC you must upgrade your myUMBC account. Your upgraded account will allow you to set up your UMBC email. Please note that we will correspond with you exclusively through your UMBC email address so be sure to monitor it regularly.
- Financial Aid eligibility is evaluated after University admission. Financial Aid award notifications are sent electronically on myUMBC.
- Students who submit their FAFSA after June 15th will only receive an award package after all required verification documents have been submitted and reviewed.
- UMBC has adopted the U.S. Department of Education’s College Financing Plan. You can view your College Financing Plan via your myUMBC account when you view your financial aid package by using the link provided.
- Review your myUMBC Notifications and reply to requests promptly. Failure to respond within the requested timeframe may reduce your financial aid funding.
- The awards listed on your initial Award Notification are based on full-time enrollment. If you plan to enroll for less than 12 credits, you must contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss how part-time enrollment may affect your awards.
- Privacy laws restrict information that can be disclosed regarding student records. Please visit our Profile Sharing page for more information on how to authorize others to access your financial aid and billing information.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses using our Cost Calculator tool.
One More Step…
- Apply for a loan if a combination of your grants, scholarships and personal contributions are not sufficient to cover your costs. Apply for loans by our priority deadline date – please visit Loans for additional information and to see final application deadline dates.
- Please note: in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan you must be enrolled in 6 or more credits.
- Review your e-bill through myUMBC using the Payments and Billing link.
- Pay your bill prior to the due date and avoid late fees.
- Please note: federal financial aid cannot pay late fees. You can use money you received as a refund to pay these charges.
- Under limited circumstances the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships can request a late fee be waived.
- Review the Book Loan process to see if you are eligible.
- All students must meet financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid awards. Students’ academic progress will be evaluated annually.
- Continue to check your myUMBC for additional email requests, award revisions, and requested documents.
- If you plan to attend a summer session before your first fall semester, contact your financial aid counselor for additional information.
- Know your Student Rights and Responsibilities as a student consumer.
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has an appointment-based visitation schedule. You may call or stop in the office to receive information about the application process, the status of your awards or to drop off documents.
Inquiries surrounding eligibility or appeals will be directed to your assigned counselor who will schedule an appointment to discuss your questions. This personalized approach allows you to have one point of contact for your financial aid and scholarship inquiries. Please visit our Contact Us page to find your financial aid counselor’s contact information.