- Apply for admission with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Create your myUMBC account and join UMBC’s online community.
- Update your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to include our school code, 002105, and retain your confirmation page for your records. Need help submitting the FAFSA? Get help directly from the source.
- Transferring Spring 2022: File/update the 2021-2022 FAFSA online by December 13, 2021 for priority consideration for financial aid.
- Once you have been admitted to UMBC you must upgrade your myUMBC account. Your upgraded account will allow you to set up your UMBC email. Please note that we will correspond with you exclusively through your UMBC email address so be sure to monitor it regularly.
- Financial aid eligibility is evaluated after university admission. Students are notified via email when their financial aid offer is available to view in myUMBC.
- UMBC has adopted the U.S. Department of Education’s College Financing Plan. You can view your College Financing Plan via your myUMBC account. There will be a link to your College Financing Plan when you view your financial aid offer by using the link provided.
- Review your myUMBC notifications and to-dos and reply to requests promptly. Failure to respond within the requested time frame may reduce your financial aid funding.
- The awards listed on your initial financial aid offer are based on full-time enrollment. If you plan to enroll for less than 12 credits, you must contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss how part-time enrollment may affect your awards.
- Once you have made the decision to attend UMBC, contact your previous institution to cancel your aid for the spring semester, and if you have received awards from the Maryland Higher Education Commission, notify them that you are transferring to UMBC.
- Privacy laws restrict information that can be disclosed regarding student records. Please visit our Profile Sharing page for more information on how to authorize others to access your financial aid and billing information.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses using our Cost Calculator tool.
One More Step…
- Apply for a loan if the combination of your grants, scholarships and personal contributions are not sufficient to cover your costs. Apply for loans by our priority deadline date – please visit Loans for additional information and to see final application deadline dates.
- Please note that in order to be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan you must be enrolled in six or more credits.
- Review your e-bill through myUMBC by navigating to the “Guide” then “Billing and Personal Finances.”
- Pay your bill prior to the due date and avoid late fees.
- Please note: federal financial aid cannot pay late fees. You can use money you received as a refund to pay these charges.
- Under limited circumstances the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships can request a late fee be waived.
- Review the Book Loan process to see if you are eligible.
- All students must meet financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid awards. Students’ academic progress will be evaluated annually each June.
- Continue to check your myUMBC account for additional email requests, award revisions and requested documents.
- If you plan to attend a summer session before your first fall semester, contact your Financial Aid Counselor for additional information.
- Know your Student Rights and Responsibilities as a student consumer.
Need More Assistance?
If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us for more information about the application process, the status of your awards or to submit documents.
Inquiries surrounding eligibility or appeals will be directed to your assigned Financial Aid Counselor, who will schedule an appointment to discuss your questions. This personalized approach allows you to have one point of contact for your financial aid and scholarship inquiries. Please visit our Contact Us page to find your Financial Aid Counselor’s contact information.